Bakersville, North Carolina, a town of fewer than 500 residents, hosts two thriving art galleries — In Tandem and Mica — situated across the street from each other. Co-owner Andy Palmer of In Tandem, along with Vicki Essig, who is a part owner in Mica, join us to discuss their roles as artists and their symbiotic relationship enhancing Bakersville's artistic community. Vicki reveals the intricate process behind her silk artworks, woven by silkworms, and shares a poignant story about silk overalls made in honor of civil rights activist Joyce Ladner. Andy discusses the transformative impact of digital outreach on their gallery in navigating challenges like the COVID-19 pandemic. The conversation dives into branding approaches, the Toe River Art Council's support for artists, and the launch of Artsville's Virtual Gallery. Tune in for insights into this vibrant artistic community and collaborative gallery partnerships.
Key Points From This Episode:
•Get to know today’s guests, Andy Palmer and Vicki Essig.
•Insight into Vicki’s weaving artworks and how she uses silkworms for her threads.
•The benefits of being part of a small community and how they have supported her process.
•Details of Andy and his wife Silvia’s gallery, In Tandem.
•How Silvia improved digital outreach and how COVID-19 increased their online sales.
•Where they find their artists and how Andy uses his expertise as a ceramics artist.
•Vicki’s gallery Mica and its location across from In Tandem in their small town, Bakersville.
•How they work together instead of competing with one another.
•Mica’s selection process and how they support their artists.
•How Bakersville’s thriving artistic community has supported economic growth in Bakersville.
•An overview of how In Tandem and Mica approaches branding.
•The Toe River Arts Council and their impactful work supporting artists.
“We have a really great symbiotic relationship between In TandemGallery and Mica Gallery. I don't think there's anybody who comes to our gallery [to whom] we don't say, ‘Have you been across the street to visit Silvia and Andy?’ We do functions together. It’s very nice.” —Vicki Essig [0:14:07]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
- Andy Palmer —https://www.intandemgallery.com/andy-palmer-bio
- In Tandem Gallery —https://www.intandemgallery.com/
- Vicki Essig —https://www.vickiessig.com/
- Mica —https://www.micagallerync.com/
- Penland School of Craft —https://penland.org/
- The Toe River Arts Council —https://toeriverarts.org/
- Artsville —artsvilleusa.com
- Artsville Podcast —https://artsville.captivate.fm/
- Art Connections —https://www.arttoursasheville.com/
- Scott “Sourdough” Power —https://www.notarealartist.com/
- Louise Glickman —https://www.louiseglickman.com/
- Crewest Studio —https://creweststudio.com/
- Not Real Art —https://www.notrealart.com/
- DanUbe Productions —https://danubeproductions.com/
- We Edit Podcasts —https://weeditpodcasts.com/
- Captivate —https://www.captivate.fm/